Saturday, October 22, 2011

Burning My Superman Card


___ Refusing The Needle: A Diabetic’s Natural Journey To Kick-Ass Health by Russell Stamets ebook available for all devices at https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/145608 and for kindle at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007P6L5C4 tags: type 1, type 2, autoimmune, diabetes, lada, natural, alternative, diet, supplements, acupuncture, meditation, lifestyle
I was fooled because I was Superman. I could eat what I wanted and not get fat. I’ve rarely been sick. Never seemed that much affected by caffeine. Never broke a bone. Have hardly any cavities. I had no reason to think my body WASN’T super human. I’ve always been strong enough to do anything I wanted to do. I’ve always had great balance and 20/15 vision. I’d go large parts of days without food or water if the project or activity seemed best uninterrupted. Being Superman was pretty convenient. Some rules of healthy living could be ignored as Not Applicable. I’d have warning, I figured, and could start drinking less or eating better whenever my body gave me the heads up. And, at age 49, it did.

So I burned my Superman card. It had obviously expired. That meant dealing directly with my body, who I’d so long dismissed as loyal and sub-servient. Fortunately, negotiations have gone well. We have a tentative long term lease agreement for the next 50 years. I have sheepishly accepted its terms with no protestation. During the last 9 months, a trial period, trust building measures have resulted in bilateral de-escalation. Specifically, after I cut alcohol, ate like an angel, and calmed my mind for a few months, my body responded with lower and more stabile morning fasting blood sugar levels.

Life as a mere mortal has been surprisingly good. The pros and cons seem to net out more favorably to the new lifestyle than I had estimated. For example, in this new life I have to make sure I’ve got some almonds and fruit or powerbars in my pack at all times; but, I don’t have to worry about a cooler and beer and ice. I never left home without lugging cold brew in the first term. I’m actually traveling lighter now. And there are other before-and-after zero sum games.



___
Refusing The Needle: A Diabetic’s Natural Journey To Kick-Ass Health by Russell Stamets
ebook available for all devices at https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/145608
and for kindle at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007P6L5C4
tags: type 1, type 2, autoimmune, diabetes, lada, natural, alternative, diet, supplements, acupuncture, meditation, lifestyle

No comments:

Post a Comment