Saturday, April 28, 2012

Oh, The Drama!


The first time I gazed out across the diabetes landscape I saw a wasteland. It was a zone of gray, dusty ruins in perpetual twilight. The meager glow of kerosene lamps here and there marked the various huddles of gray, dusty denizens. They always seemed preoccupied with the devices clipped to each other’s belts, or the contents of the little zipper cases they all carried. Every so often one would announce a number and the rest would either cheer and slap his back or sigh “oh no” and give him a hug.

Refusing The Needle: A Diabetic’s Natural Journey To Kick-Ass Health by Russell Stamets ebook available for all devices at https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/145608 and for kindle at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007P6L5C4 tags: type 1, type 2, autoimmune, diabetes, lada, natural, alternative, diet, supplements, acupuncture, meditation, lifestyle, HAWMC
As I watched, a regular stream of pilgrims plodded into the zone, looking bewildered, new zipper cases in hand. Some of them drifted into dark corners alone. Others were drawn like moths to the kerosene lamp groups where they were consoled, and hugged, and congratulated on the quality of their insulin supply case or pump.

Nobody seemed to notice me on the bluff from where I watched. They didn’t seem aware of the sunlit, clean kodachrome universe mere steps from their enclave.

In the years since, I’ve traveled often into the Zone, carrying news of the fresh water and food that I’m sure saved me from their fate. I’ve shown any who would listen that I carry no case or pump, just a handful of almonds. Mostly I’m met with blank stares. Once, one of the kerosene lamp leaders asked me to go away.

But depressing as these sorties into the realm of victimhood are, it’s worth the short time away from my happy life for the one person in a hundred, mostly from the queue of new pilgrims, that hears me, and turns away, daring to live in the light.

___
Refusing The Needle: A Diabetic’s Natural Journey To Kick-Ass Health by Russell Stamets
ebook available for all devices at https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/145608
tags: type 1, type 2, autoimmune, diabetes, lada, natural, alternative, diet, supplements, acupuncture, meditation, lifestyle, HAWMC

No comments:

Post a Comment