Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Why I Write What


___ Refusing The Needle: A Diabetic’s Natural Journey To Kick-Ass Health by Russell Stamets ebook available for all devices at https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/145608 and for kindle at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007P6L5C4 tags: type 1, type 2, autoimmune, diabetes, lada, natural, alternative, diet, supplements, acupuncture, meditation, lifestyle
photo by qisur

I write. I’ve always written. But not about diabetes. Not even when I was diagnosed 3 years ago with a semi-exotic, reportedly incurable variety (LADA). If you could look in my journals, you’d find a little of the self-pitying “I’m a victim” spew. But nothing for public consumption. I had nothing new to offer. The online community was already bursting at the seams with identical tales of lives consumed with insulin and insulin delivery. Highs, lows, hospital trips, complications, and lives irrevocably altered by all forms of this disease I now share. It made me sick to my stomach. There was nothing in that predictable, worn-out plot that I wanted to write about. I kept writing about my joys and interests: sailing, science, poetry, and philosophy.
Until last Spring. My quiet experiment yielded the unexpected. An alternate ending appeared for this story that I’d been guaranteed had no other ending but a shot in the stomach. So Whoah! Stop the presses. This was too big not to report. No matter that diabetes itself is still not an inspiring subject or that my private nature protests undressing this way in public. It was truly a Spock moment, “The needs of the many outweigh... the needs of the few... or the one.” With my own proof that a east-west combo lifestyle approach (diet, supplements, stress reduction) can reverse this disease, I have no choice. My results, repeated across the entire diabetes epidemic, means improving the quality of millions of lives and the saving of billions of dollars otherwise headed for big pharma.
So I’m compelled to write this. Even though branded a heretic and snake oil salesman and gritting my teeth at exposing my scrawny (but awesomely healthy) body, I’d be a less than responsible human being if I kept it to myself.

_____                                                                  
Refusing The Needle: A Diabetic’s Natural Journey To Kick-Ass Health by Russell Stamets
ebook available for all devices at https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/145608
tags: type 1, type 2, autoimmune, diabetes, lada, natural, alternative, diet, supplements, acupuncture, meditation, lifestyle, HAWMC

No comments:

Post a Comment